Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Body Image

How many books can you name that are about fat people? How many of those are "message" books(They are supposed to make you "see" from a different point of view)? How many books use getting fat as just a normal plot device?

I'm reading a book where the hero gets fat. It's just a fantasy book, and it's not groundbreaking, but I found it interesting. Everyone goes through changes in their bodies over their lifetime. Everyone has a certain image of themselves in their mind.

I don't often look in the mirror, other than to shave. I don't ever scrutinize my face. I think Melinda has a better idea of what I look like than I do. Is that common? How often do you look in the mirror? How well do you know your own face?

1 comment:

Clark said...

As an identical twin, I get the opportunity to see an eerily similar model of myself as anyone else would see it. That said, I have a very distinct image of myself and my twin. So maybe "seeing" oneself (in a mirror or otherwise) is not really "seeing." It takes a lot to change the image of ourself in our head, usually more than a glimpse in the mirror.