Thursday, September 3, 2009

Shogun by James Clavell

So, I've decided this will be a book log. I'll write at least a little bit about each book after I read it.

Shogun is a historical novel about medieval Japan. The author uses a western character, an English Captain, or Pilot, to introduce us to the foreign culture and politics. At first, we see the Japanese as the Pilot does, an opaque, two-dimensional culture focused on violence and control. Gradually, he comes to see through the cultural barrier, and becomes a pawn in a very large game of chess, with warlords aiming to gain control of the empire as Shoguns.

I enjoyed the book. It began with a sea voyage, which I have found myself strangely drawn to recently, but then leaves the sea behind. The plans and gambits are interesting, and seem very Japanese, hinging on duty, honor, and garnering the admiration of the middle-level samurai by outplaying the opposition. Duty and honor are not black and white romantic notions, but sometimes merely the faces put on the gambits, not what you usually find in a samurai novel, and are probably much more realistic.

Very long, and I would have read it much quicker if it hadn't been for work acting up recently.

No comments: