Friday, July 11, 2008

Netflix pressure

So, I just added a new stress to my life. I didn't realize what I'd done until my brother pointed it out to me. I now have a queue of movies, a to do list. It's about 100 movies long. The pressure is starting to get to me. If I don't watch this movie soon, the next one will never get here, and if I don't whittle down my queue, I'll never get to the end!

edit: I just found a discussion about this on Slashdot

Netflix has a feature that allows you to watch certain movies on your computer. Since we have our computer hooked up to our tv, that's actually a fantastic way to watch movies. Since signing up for netflix on July 1, I have watched:

Charlie Wilson's War
Once
Bella
The Hot Rock
La Vie en Rose
The Way We Were
Seven Years in Tibet
The Candidate
Les Miserables
Empire Records
Steamboy
Mean Girls
Vanity Fair
Noi the Albino
Once upon a time in China
East of Eden
I'm Reed Fish
In the Time of Butterflies

Yes, that is 18 movies in 10 days. You may wonder, how do you watch almost 2 movies a day? Don't you work? don't you eat? don't you have eyes, legs, and a brain? I'm odd. I have trouble working in silence. When it's quiet, I start to fidget. My brain gets uncomfortable, and tries to distract me. So, when I'm working at home(which is every day), I usually try to have some background noise. Music is ok, but conversations are better. I have certain podcasts(from NPR) that I listen to, and I have some shows that I download. When we had television through iProvo, I would have espn sportscenter on in the background, or Law and Order reruns on TNT(they're infinite). Summers have always been a bit more difficult to find content, especially now that we don't have cable. So now netflix takes up the slack. Plus these last two weeks have been really slow at work. Summers are always a slow time for us.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

so. which one of these movies would you suggest?

i used to like artsy movies a lot more. but it seems that when i come home from work on a friday night i want a movie that will require as little thought as possible.

hm. my job is like that. it requires as little thought as possible.

maybe i should be renting more artsy movies.

i'm pathetic. :)

John said...

Ones I would recommend:
Once(needs clearplay for language)
Bella
In the Time of Butterflies
Les Miserables
The Way We Were
East of Eden(especially if it's been a while since you've read it)
Noi the Albino(very slow, very artsy, but winter in Iceland!)

Unfortunately, none of those are really no brainers.