Sunday, October 14, 2007

Sunday, bloody Sunday

I taught a lesson today about Family Responsibilities. It went well. I thought the class was very willing to participate, so it made the teaching easier.

I am enjoying my restful Sunday. I was able to go to priesthood, and I wasn't exhausted as soon as church got out. Nursery was fun sometimes, but very tiring.

I finished Lost and Found. I am not sure if I would recommend it to anyone, but it was an interesting read. It's not the style, plot or premise that puts me off, but rather the content. It deals with various secrets and the shame the holders of the secrets feel. In the end, all secrets come out, and then it's all better. Of course it's a bit more complicated. What bothers me is that half, or more than half the secrets were about homosexuality. It criticizes the christian "ex-gay" movement as a hoax, which I'm willing to believe is true, but I think I would have liked a more balanced/nuanced treatment of the subject. I guess it bothered me that homosexuality got so much treatment in the book, when it is such a small population. It seems like half the characters in the book were gay or lesbian. I think that is true in general. In the media, gay and lesbian issues have a presence entirely out of proportion with the size of the demographic.

No comments: