Thursday, October 11, 2007

Today

I found out from Melinda that titling all my posts "Today" is really annoying, so I guess I'll stop doing that, tomorrow.

I think I kind of want to write a google gadget that would allow me to put a post window on my google homepage. There was one already written, but it worked before google took over blogger, and changed the api's(Knowing Google, it's probably better, because no matter how much you fear their power, you must respect their technical prowess). I'm not sure it's worth my while though...

I think I want to spend some time working on my budget program. I think it needs some analysis tools. The other thing is an import tool for Rick's data. Last time I looked at Rick's data, it didn't have enough info about the account it came from, in fact the data was a bit incomplete for my purposes.

I just finished a book called Fool's Errand. First, I'll say I liked it. It is a kind of small-scale adventure story, focused intensely on the main character, told in first person. The technical aspects of the magic "framework" in the world are both original enough, mystical enough, and not weak enough to be satisfying and intriguing. I won't say it's unique, but it is not hackneyed or cliche. The book's world felt like it had a sense of history and depth, and the author never stooped to just plain explanations or flashbacks, but instead history was always tainted by the the character's experiences and emotional attachments. Characters are well developed enough for connections to matter(no "Dungeons & Dragons" the movie moments).

I have some extra time on my hands today, because I finished the new features early. It's relaxing. It makes it easier to spend time with Melinda at night, because I don't feel stress of things undone(since everything is done).

No comments: