Friday, September 17, 2010

Devices and Desires


I read this trilogy back in April.

A more complex style of storytelling, the author uses 5 protagonists to explore how predictable human emotion can be. The first book in the series was possibly the best. The main protagonist in search of laudable personal objectives sets up a war that kills thousands. By the second book, you hope that someone will see through his duplicity, and kill him. By the third book, you're just hoping that he's made some major mistake that will cause the whole thing to fall apart. The biggest failure in these books is that everything goes as planned. Past the point of believability. My enjoyment fell as I realized that the main protagonist was going to be proven correct in all his plans, manipulations and designs. Not only did I want him to fail, I knew he really should have.
3-4.5/5 (at first, a 4.5, then a 3 at the end)

No comments: