Friday, September 3, 2010

Hunger Games

Melinda saw her students reading a book, and decided that I would like it. I'm not sure if that's a compliment, seeing as they are 7th graders, but I really enjoyed it.

Written in first person, the book is set in a post-apocalyptic US, with a dictatorial, privileged oligarchy, separated from the working classes through the creation of 12 districts. My first impression was that it was a fun book, something for people who like historical reenactments to feel good about their hobby(trapping and hunting with a bow and arrow are valuable skills). As the book goes on, I felt like there was more hints of a moral dilemma. As in V for Vendetta, there are no moral discussions of the morality of revolution, but it's impossible to avoid thinking about it as you read. Action-packed, quick pace, but teenage characters that sometimes feel archetypal rather than individual.

4/5

p.s. I read this back in April, and just now am getting around to post this.

1 comment:

Tanei Atagi said...

Confession...I gave up a week of my life to this trilogy. Neglecting my house, child, job, and husband (just a little) I got all caught up in Katniss and Peeta's lives. I really enjoyed it!

Now I'm awaiting Ally Condie's book Matched...supposedly the next big thing.