Friday, September 17, 2010

The Help

This book was a new context to me. I never was in a position to have "Help", and I've never known anyone else who did. For us upper-middle class white americans*, it's easy to forget what things were like in the 1950's (or sometimes are like) for people with different circumstances.
Some critics said the book was one-sided, that all the white women were evil, but reading the book, it is impossible to agree.
4/5

* All middle class americans describe themselves as "upper-middle class". It's part of the ambition that makes our country prosperous, and a perfect example of the self-delusions that are most common. We all think we're smarter and richer than we really are. But that's ok, because I'm pretty sure that I'm smarter than everyone I've met so far :).

p.s. I read this in April.

2 comments:

Melinda said...

Whatever! You guys had "Help". In fact, I recall a specific story about a Latina maid at your house in The Valley.

Jen Holtkamp said...

i didn't know you read the help! i really liked it!